Sunday 26 December 2010

Best Christmas Present Ever

Christmas is hard.

My son has a problem with being given gifts as it makes him feel very uncomfortable but as a parent you can't not give gifts! The way I've got round that is rather than giving them to him I leave them outside his room and tell him they're there so he can take them in when he feels comfortable.

I did that yesterday, and a few minutes later sent him a text saying that if he was peckish it might be an idea to have a look. I also said that I knew how hard it was for him and that he didn't have to acknowledge the presents or anything.

A little later I got a text back. It said "I do know it's hard for you as well. Thank you."

I can imagine how difficult even sending me that text was for him and, frankly, I had a lump in my throat when I read it. For me that was the best present ever.

xxx

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the trouble to comment.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. texting is wonderful. I am closer with my son now than ever. We text all the time. I am so glad for you. I hope you have a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and we bashed the chavs 3-1!!!
    what did you get him that was edible?

    Happy Christmas JAC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mongo.

    Nice to hear from you, and a very happy Christmas and new year to you and yours.

    I just got him a bag of chocolates and sweets. Kind of like a selection box but in bigger packets and without the ludo game on the back!

    As for the footie - oh yes! An extremely enjoyable evening.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen.

    Yes texting is very handy. although my son is in the same house he does find talking difficult sometimes so I often text him if it's something he might have problems with to let him reply in his own time. Doesn't always work but it's just one of the many 'tools'.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete