Tuesday 4 January 2011

Meeting

Well I told you I was going to have the meeting with the head of 'Pathways Development' and it finally happened just before Christmas.

Turned out not to be just her, the (current) head of the local until was there as well but they do like to pair up on you so I wasn't that surprised. As an aside isn't it sad that I, and so many other 'service users', see the system that should be there helping us as adversarial?

We went into the meeting room and as soon as we sat down I got the letter they'd sent me out and passed it over to them, pausing, then asking them if they stood by the everything it said. They seemed a bit confused by not leading the meeting and by my question but glanced at the letter and said they did. That was exactly what I wanted to hear and it was game over for them.

I pointed out where they said he attended 'a' and 'b' on a weekly basis. I told them that for various reasons he hadn't been to either for nearly 2 months when the letter was written. How did they not know that? Then I pointed out how the letter said he was receiving regular appointments with a psychiatrist. I then said that whilst the one appointment he'd had with the psychiatrist in the whole year could pedantically be called regular it really didn't fit any accepted or acceptable meaning. I then sat back and said 'Now do you understand why I'm so pissed off?' and all she could say was yes.

We got into the nuts and bolts and it turns out the CPN that we had to ask to leave because she was so incapable of listening no longer works there. Neither does the Assistant Manager I dealt with and was so disappointed with previously. Interesting.

Anyway, it was agreed that his old CPN (who we had been very happy with) would start seeing Jr again, with a view to taking him out more. I then asked whether there was any progress on a music group (my son is extremely talented in that direction) and they said there was one coming up but they didn't know if there were any places left. I asked why Jr wasn't already on the list and was told they didn't know he liked music! Rather strange as it was something I had mentioned at every single meeting I've ever had with them!!! I pointed this out as a perfect example of why the service was so pathetic and they couldn't really disagree at all. (We got a letter a couple of days later to confirm he was on the list).

So all in all it went rather as we had hoped, but why on earth do I have to go through this time after time?

xxx

6 comments:

  1. Very familiar this - had same problem with health services when I worked in Social Services - plenty of talk about working together etc and care plans etc but minutes of meetings or any note taking was minimal. I found that I had to minute meetings and send them a copy via email (unlike post it was proof I had done so - I did this to cover my own back) as they often denied we ever talked over some points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Xmas and a Merry New Year JAC
    glad you got something positive out of it all in the end shame you had to haul them over hot coals first

    They don't like it up'em do they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, glad you're getting somewhere! Looked at my last post which was miserable and not very helpful lol

    Happy New Year xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladythinker.
    Frankly the impression I get time after time is that we're expected to be greatful for anything and not, under any circumstances, complain. Sadly many of the people we've dealt with seem to be on a massive ego trip and aren't used to people pointing out when they contradict themselves.

    xxx

    Hi Mongo,

    And a happy new year to you and yours mate. You're absolutely right they don't like it up 'em but when I'm around if they don't do their job they better get used to it!

    xxx

    Hi Gunnercesc.

    Glad it's working again because I was dreading having to sort out something techno! As for your last post to be honest every comment is appreciated as it helps to feel that people are taking an interest. In many ways it's a lonely life looking after my son; not that I'd change it for the world.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about a lonely life. I'm sorry. I expect most carers feel the same. Perhaps if you asked for a carers assessment you might find a mutual support group which can help in sharing feelings with others who in similar circs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Penny.

    In some ways I'm very lucky that when we moved back here I quickly bumped into a group of people, most of whom I've known since my teens. They are a great help (in fact a couple of them are carers too) especially as they will let me bitch and moan as much as I like. There is a carers group that meets monthly but it's on a Thursday and that's the one night out I get a week when I play in a pool team with those mentioned and i think that weekly thing does me more good, and frankly is an escape.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete